Featured Handmade Shop: FrenchCountryLove...."once upon time in a little french country cottage...."



I want to introduce a dear friend of mine Gayle Lynn Smith who owns the shop FrenchCountryLove.She is who someone I can turn to for any advice and except nothing but honesty and love, she is truly someone special and someone I admire....The crazy part is we have never even met face to face but have become such good friends...... I will let you tell the story because she has a way with words and always can make LOL. 


"My friend Shana, aka RubbishLove, recently asked me if she could feature me and my Etsy business, French Country Love on her blog.   If I may digress for a moment here, that is what I love about Shana....asking ME if she cold FEATURE me on HER blog!!  ~She is the kindest, most thoughtful person I have met in a very long time.

I met Shana, as I hired her to build/design my husban's law firm website.  see >>> http://www.smith-legalservices.com/. .  You can see for yourself, her talent and what a beautiful 
Job  she did!

After Shana completed my project, we started 'talking' and getting to know each other. didn't take long for both she and I to learn that we are both kindred spirits.. Even though we are at different stages in life, ~her two kids are in elementary school, and my two just starting college..  We found out that we both kind of gravitated towards the same things, ,,I.e.spiritual growth & empowerment through meditation, prayer and other means..

I also learned that Shana did more than build websites. I learned about Shana's other business, or more accurately, her vision & passion, Rubbish Love.  It was then that I shared with Shana some projects that I offered locally, (in my hometown,
of Traverse City, MI.)
Shana asked to 
see some pictures of my products and I was sososo flattered when she then suggested to me that I open a shop on Etsy!  Imhad never even thought of doing such a thing.. She thought both my Drop Cloth Rugs and my Cottage Chic bench would do very well on Etsy.

I have two products that I offer, that are my main passion.  First, is my  6x9 'Drop Cloth Rug'.  
This rug had an interesting story to its start,
as I mentioned earlier, my twins (son and daughter) both started college last year,

----talk about MAJOR empty nest syndrome, two 'children' (my
only two ) leaving at the same time :(. Okay, so that was quite a segue from what I was asked to do here..okay, focus... 


As we were viewing each of the twin's  ' soon to be home away from home' dorms, it became clear that we were going to need to be creative in finding ways to brighten up those dreary rooms...
 While unpacking her things, I noticed that my daughter had developed quite a collection of Union Jack items, mugs, t-shirts,posters, and it was that which gave me the idea for our Union Jack Rug!  I practically ran home, got on the computer and started for searching for ideas on how to paint your own area rug..
Within two days I had painted one for each of the twins's rooms. They looked simply awesome, if I do say so myself. The story should end here,  in a way, it kind of started here...
It was within weeks, both my twins were telling me that everyone was asking them where they could get e same rugs...When I heard this, I had an 'Ah-ha!' moment...   I started perfecting my craft, and in a very short time I had furnished 1/2 the population in my twin's college with our Union Jack Rugs....Oh okay, I kid, I kid... :) a slight exaggeration, though I did get several orders :)

Drop Cloth Area Rug, 6x9,

I decorate my home in cottage style and French Country.  I love the the colors, the soft hues found on a French Chateau, and I am always trying to find ways incorporate them into my home.  I was looking for an area rug online, to put under our dining room table. I found exactly what I wanted at Crate & Barrel.  It was a simple striped area rug in gray (my favorite color btw)  and white.  What kinda' knocked me over, was the price.  It was around $500.00 for the size I wanted!  Yowza!..and no thanks!  I immediately thought to try and recreate this rug on my drop cloth.

Soooo, that is how I got into rug painting.  My other specialty product is one that I consider an act of love.  I call it this, because when I figured out what is was I wanted to make, I went to my elderly father for advice.  I offer a beautiful one-of-kind Cottage Chic Bench.  I take a great deal of pride in these benches.  They consist of two dining room chairs, that I take and turn into a bench.  I then paint the bench on chalk paint, lightly antique and distress.  I truly feel that these benches are a French Country work of art! it is my father who measures, cuts and puts together the seat part on my benches...This is why I consider my benches to be an act do love <3. These benches truly ARE one of a kind, as the are designed around different dining room chairs, each bench always has its own look & personality.  These are made in both a two seated and three seated bench. 
I have long ago made it my mission to scope out interesting pieces of furniture.  You can often find me pursuing flea markets, tag sales etc. looking for that  special piece! I am always amazed how a bit of time and creativity is all it takes to turn a regular piece into a French country beauty!  Did I mention that I have made Chalk Paints my life!  I spend every spare moment, looking to learn new techniques to paint and finish my French Country pieces.. 

Vintage wood desk, secretary desk, 

Sooo, this brings me to today..Under Shana's suggestion then guidance, I opened FrenchCountryLove ;). You can find my Drop Cloth Rugs, my Cottage Chic Benches, and several other French Country treasures that I create.  Please do stop by, I try to change things up, and list new pieces weekly!  I love the idea of having things that I personally had a hand in creating and sending them off to different parts of the country!  as I finish writing this, I am packing a BEeeeaaaauuuutiful little French Country End table, chalk painted in soft blue base, with a French Gray dry brush topping, along with French Stenciling.  This lovely table was sold out of my Etsy shop the second day 'she' was listed!  Off to her new home in Chicago she goes!"

You can check out Gayle's store FrenchCountryLove. We hope you enjoyed this featured shop, if you did please feel free to pin it for us or leave is a comment. Spread the love, handmade business can have huge impact on our economy please help support! 

Love you all!!
~Shana



Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, we love to hear from you!

Instagram